Tuesday, September 17, 2013

New Flat Screen T.V. for the Learning Commons?


Learning with technology is a key element of building a Learning Commons. It's also important to create both a physical and virtual space that is inviting and relevant for students. It has been brought to my attention that it is possible for us to buy a new flat screen for the Learning Commons. I think this would update the library's appearance and would be inviting for students. I would like to get rid of the shelving beside the doors to the library (the ones with the World Books and almanacs that haven't been circulated in centuries). I find that shelf looks outdated and is not being used by our students. I think this would make a great space for a viewing area and it would be located near the necessary hookups in the lab (we can work on the logistics of everything later). What I would like from you is feedback and ideas for its use in the learning commons.

Some possibilities I have in mind:

-Tumblebook viewing

-Interactive author website viewing (Robert Munsch, etc.)

-A screen to showcase student achievement (another key element of a learning commons)

-A screen for students to watch/self assess themselves in various capacities (giving presentations, theatre, etc.)

-A screen to project any website.

This addition to the library would be helpful when the lab is booked and if the computers in the library are being used for Dreambox Math and Lexia Reading.

Consider this as a tool for your future use in the Learning Commons. Please post your ideas in the comments below.


Cheers!



Photo taken from http://top-productions.com/rental/60-inch-flat-screen-tvs

No comments:

Post a Comment