I'm not sure how it happened, but it is November already! Here is a quick recap of the things that have happened during the last two months of our Learning Commons journey
-primary students focused on book exchange routines and library skills
-established foci for uses of the learning commons
-This blog was created to help document our Learning Commons journey and to provide another means of communication to share our ideas.
-I met with primary teachers to discuss their needs and concerns about how they will use the learning commons
-students have participated in a book review contest and will now be asked to participate in another contest related to Tumblebooks.
-students were introduced to e-books using Tumblebooks and the Apple App store
-students were introduced to author websites
-We had a successful Book Fair and purchased nearly $1000 worth of books form the profits
-We have begun ordering new books that reflect both student and teacher needs
-The first Southridge Family Book Exchange was initiated.
-Book displays have been regularly created to help excite students about our collection, events and holidays.
-Three primary classes have been using Learning Commons sessions to practice reading strategies.
-Three intermediate classes have been using Learning Commons sessions to practice note taking skills to prepare students for future research projects in the Learning Commons.
-The library has been used for Halloween activities, Leadership meetings, professional development and Spirit Days. This has helped promote the library as a place for skill building, fun and leisure.
-A television has been ordered to be used as a learning space in the library and to help update the overall appearance of the library.
-A new library website has been created by our library clerk to support the transition from a library to a learning commons.
Now what?
In terms of library skills for the rest of the year, students will be reviewing how materials are organized in the library, the properties of print, online catalogue access and record information, suitability of text selection, listening, reading and viewing skills, effective use of electronic resources, and the research process.
My next major focus for the Learning Commons is to experiment with its physical space. During my two months at Southridge, I have had the opportunity to observe how the library space is used by students, staff and parents- what is effective, and what is not.
Overall, our library is bright, welcoming, organized and has a friendly atmosphere. I enjoy the jungle theme that has been initiated by those before me and I will continue to add to this theme. I think the theme can be more apparent, however. The first thing I have ordered is a large, beautiful jungle mural that will be placed on the large blank space above the entrance doors. I will continue to add to this jungle theme throughout the year. I feel that this theme is interesting and inviting for primary and intermediate students.
The one thing I have noticed about our library is that it feels very cramped. Students do not have much room to move and it is very tricky to have more than one class in the library. I have also noticed that students, staff and parents are a bit cramped when they are looking through the easy readers. I think our physical space in the library could benefit from relocating/repositioning our large shelves. I would also like to experiment with the placement of our computers (if possible). Currently they are off to the side and aren't used often (except for those who check the catalogue). I would like to see our technology more centrally located- possibly around the large pillar in the middle of the library. I would like students to have more room to move around and to be able to engage in Learning Commons activities more comfortably. Right now having students at the tables and the computers is quite cramped.
I have invited an experienced librarian from our district who recently undertook a major renovation of a school library. This week, she will be spending a morning observing how students and staff use our space. We have set aside some time to discuss what works well in the space, what needs improvement and what changes might be possible. I have obtained the floor plan of our space and we will be experimenting with different layouts.
As these changes take place, I appreciate feedback and hope that the changes will result in a better learning space for all.
Have a great week!


No comments:
Post a Comment