I can't believe we are already half way through the school year! I worry that I have not accomplished as many things as I had hoped to accomplish by February, but at the same time, I'm very proud of the progress of the Learning Commons at Southridge and the changes that have begun to take shape.
Remember that TV learning station I discussed way back when this blog was first developed? I think it was the first post, actually! Well, it is finally here and I couldn't be more thrilled. Below, I have inserted a photo of the station.
I will be putting up jungle themed fabric behind the TV to hide the not-so-attractive plywood and to add to our jungle theme in the library. The kids have been really enjoying the theme and I have loved watching their reactions to the changes in the space. I've heard positive feedback from staff, parents and other educators in our district, but the student feedback is the most rewarding for me.
Speaking of feedback, I've had several people within our school and outside of our school ask how this station differs from the document camera/projector set up that we currently use in our classrooms. The answer is really quite simple and paramount to the theory of a learning commons. This station provides accessible technology in the library that students can operate themselves. While a learning commons needs readily available technology, it also needs opportunities for self-directed learning. I like that this station can be used and operated by students and that they have a more hands on approach to their own learning. This laptop will have the very basics on it and can be run by any student in the school with their regular username and login info. This station is also simple enough to run for both primary and intermediate students. This station is much more student friendly than the projector/doc cam set up and allows students to view in small groups. When it isn't being used by students, it will serve as a display screen. A learning commons is supposed to be a place where student achievement is showcased and this screen will feature slideshows of student achievement.
Additionally, this learning station fits in with my vision for the library to utilize centre-based learning. I have been researching library centres and what they might look like for our library. Many of the centres are literacy based and give students more opportunities for hands on- self directed learning. A future post will outline those stations in more detail, as they will be introduced after spring break.
In the mean time…a date has been set for the big reno!!!!! March 4th the library will undergo a major physical layout change. Below, I have inserted a photo of the floor plan of the library with the proposed changes.
I know the photo isn't the clearest, but I wanted to show the basic shape that the changes will result in. Instead of the shelves being in the centre of the room, they will be placed perpendicular to the walls following the circular shape of the room. The computers will be in the centre of the room around the large pillar. Fiction will be on the inside facing the projector screen and non fiction books will be on the other side of the shelves facing the windows. I think it will be easier to explain to students and parents that fiction is on one side and non fiction is on the other. Currently, there are shelves that have both fiction and non fiction and it seems to be confusing for students who are just learning the difference between the two types of books. My mentor librarian, who is also a District Learning Commons Liaison, will be assisting me on the 4th of March for this reno. I don't think I will ever be able to thank her adequately for her assistance with this project (and my whole journey as a first year teacher/teacher librarian) !
Time Line for the next phase of the Learning Commons:
February 3-28th
-Continue to collaborate with teachers to use the space for learning commons projects. There are currently 4 classes using the Learning Commons for projects this month.
-Continue teaching students how to use the library and the skills needed to be able to engage in the centres I am currently developing.
-During this month, the library will be used for a week of Anti-Bullying activities for our school-wide Anti Bullying week.
-End of February- begin moving some books and prepping for the March 4th move.
March 4th- Big move!
March 5-14th
-new labels and signs made to assist users with new layout
-students will be given time to become adjusted to the new layout
-I will be making the materials needed for the library centres at this time. Some of them require quite a bit of prep work to make, but they can be re-used for years to come once they are made.
After Spring Break
-Introduce students to library centres.
-At this time, I would also like to survey students about the changes to the library and how their user experience has been. (I need to think about the logistics of collecting this data).
Phew! Ok. Bring it on February!
Thank you for reading this blog and for your patience and support!
No comments:
Post a Comment